Sunday, July 15, 2018
RIDERS BACK TO WORK, STILL NO COLLAROS
REGINA -- After enjoying a bye last week, the CFL's Saskatchewan Roughriders were back on the Mosaic Stadium turf on Sunday for a walk-through on Day 1 of their work week. The Riders visit Hamilton in Week 6 of the season on Thursday (5:30 pm Sask Time, TSN, 620 CKRM Radio Network).
Here are some notes from the practice:
- QB Zach Collaros was absent from the workout, which isn't entirely unexpected since he's on the 6-Game Injured List with a concussion but we were hoping for at least an update on his status. Head Coach & GM Chris Jones obliged.
"I talked to Zach this morning and he feels a whole lot better," Jones reported. "He's not 100%. I told him I'm gonna treat him like I would my son. My expectation is that he does everything he can do to get back, and I'm not gonna stick him back out there until he's 100%.
"Until the trainers say that he's okay - and he's gotta be 100%, not 90% - I'm not gonna stick him back out there."
- Jones announced Brandon Bridge will start Thursday's game at Hamilton, his third straight. As long as Bridge is performing efficiently and successfully, he'll remain in the game but the club will have some packages for back-up David Watford.
- Bridge said having a short leash doesn't really bother him. He related the situation to baseball, and that any starting pitcher would want to stay on the mound for as long as he can but understands it's not the starter's call if he doesn't have "it".
- Bridge said he watched "a little bit of film" over the bye week, at Nik Lewis's house, and said it was great to breakdown film with a "future Hall of Famer".
- Bridge's first career win as a starter came in Hamilton last year and agreed that it feels like a "home game" for him since he hails from Mississauga, ON.
- Jones said no new players were brought in during the bye week. They're sticking with what they have - (Duron Carter was with the 1's in the defensive secondary) - and that their focus is on successful execution, not changing schemes or personnel.
- Monday's Rider workout is closed.