|Jones on Wednesday|
The Riders have five picks: 5th, 14th, 36th, 45th, and 63rd overall.
Head Coach & GM Chris Jones met with the media Wednesday morning and here are some notes from the session:
- Jones said they've had talks with the Montreal Alouettes about acquiring the #1 overall selection.
- Jones said there are some very good players at the top end of the Draft, but said it's not a deep Draft overall talent-wise. He doesn't see too many immediate starters compared to years past.
- The Rider boss said his staff has done 15 different mock drafts and ranked each position's Top 10 players. As far as strategy goes, the Riders will simply go with the top player available at the time, regardless of position.
- U of R Rams QB Noah Picton is eligible and Jones says his size (5'9") works against him, but he makes up for it in heart. The Riders have interviewed Picton multiple times. If they have a late pick and Picton is available, they'd look at drafting the Regina product.
- Lineman Josiah St. John was the #1 overall pick two years ago but Jones said there's a knock on him because St. John hasn't been able to start yet. Jones said Josaih's decision to hold out of training camp in 2016 over a contract squabble was "a bad decision".
- Linebacker Cameron Judge was the #2 overall pick by the Riders last year but the UCLA product was unable to see regular action due to injury. Jones said Judge is now healthy, and figures into the team's plans in 2018.