Some Notes From Day 3 of Rider Training Camp
- Tuesday's Day 3 of 2018 Saskatchewan Roughriders Training Camp moved over to SMF Field, home of the Saskatoon Hilltops. Again, sunny skies and 26 degrees Celsius greeted Canada's Team.
- Just prior to the workout the Roughriders announced they've released DT Nick James and CB John Ojo. Head Coach & GM Chris Jones said they’re “physically not ready” for training camp.
- The Riders also announced the retirement of centre Jeremy Zver, a Regina Rams product. Zver's agent told me the player has decided to move on from football. Jones said Zver was having an “okay camp, but not a great camp".
- The team also activated veteran Canadian DT Eddie Steele. He promptly lined up with the 1s.
- The star of the day was quarterback David Watford, who unfurled a barrage of accurate, deep passes.
- It was another day in pads, and two former Calgary teammates hooked up for the most thunderous collision of camp so far. Defensive lineman Charleston Hughes demolished tailback Jerome Messam on a run play.
"See the thing is, Charleston, man, I thought we were better than that!" Messam huffed after the practice. "I'm older, trying to save my legs, so I'm not trying to burst 30 yards. I pulled up a little bit and he gave me a good pop. I owe him one."
- Duron Carter took plenty of reps at corner, lining up primarily against Caleb Holley and Rob Bagg. He wasn't beaten much, if at all.
- The Riders visit the Edmonton Eskimos Sunday at 5:00 pm (TSN, 620 CKRM Rider Radio Network) and Jones said he'll announce his quarterback rotation for the game later in the week. He said to expect a lot of #3, #4 and #5 at that position, meaning we won't see much of Zach Collaros or Brandon Bridge (if at all).