The newest member of the Saskatchewan Roughriders - defensive end Charleston Hughes - dropped by 620 CKRM's SportsCage on Wednesday as part of a media tour.
Hughes was acquired in a trade with Hamilton last Friday, shortly after the Tiger-Cats acquired the 34-year old from the Calgary Stampeders.
Earlier on Wednesday, Hughes addressed reporters at a news conference at Mosaic Stadium.
Here are some notes and quotes from the session:
ON BEING A RIDER
- This hat and shirt are the first piece of green that I've put on! Now I feel like it's official. I feel ready to play now.
ON FRIDAY'S EVENTS
- It was a whirlwind, for sure. There were some benefits of playing for Hamilton: being closer to home, Mom being able to come to a game instead of Grey Cup, but after that 30 seconds, I was over that! On to the next. I'm in Sask.
I never imagined I'd be anywhere besides Calgary, having been there so long. After getting traded, it was a shocker for a little bit and I was in the dark the whole time. But it feels good. I'm home now, I'm stationed, and it feels good.
ON BEING A RIDER
- I'm going to a good team. Even though it wasn't by choice, I still ended up with a good team, a Grey Cup-contending team and I feel like we're gonna make it all the way.
- I know Jones and Murph and a lot of other players on the team. The players have been embracing me and I've talked to Collaros and Willie Jefferson. They're just as happy to play with me as I am to be with them.
YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE TRADE
- I was preparing for a snowboarding trip so I was preparing for that, and taking a bunch of people to Banff. They were as shocked as I was. We talked about it the whole way to Banff and what started as a fan trip became a farewell tour.
ON CHRIS JONES
- I think it'll be good. It'll be good for my game and for the team. He knows what I'm capable of and he knows I can cover backs, drop into zones and I bring a lot to the table.
ON THE RIVALRY
- I've had a lot of successful games against Saskatchewan and I assume that's a lot of the reason why they picked me up, right? If you can't stop him, then bring him to the team! You know what? Having Willie across from me and me being in that locker room, will just add to the team. I told Willie it'll be a pleasure playing with him and to have a note pad and pen ready. I'm going to show him everything I know, and all the tricks of the trade.
*To listen to the Hughes interview on the SportsCage, listen to the podcast at www.sportscage.ca.