Realty One

PAI MEDICAL GROUP

Access

Thursday, December 21, 2017

JOVON JOHNSON EXTENDS WITH RIDERS


The Saskatchewan Roughriders have signed international defensive back Jovon Johnson to a contract extension.         

Johnson (5’9 – 190) will remain with the Riders after joining the team in June, 2017. The 34-year-old, 11-year veteran originally entered the CFL with the Riders in 2007. He went on to spend time with Winnipeg, Ottawa and Montreal over the next nine seasons before returning to Saskatchewan.

Last year, Johnson started all 18 regular-season games for the Riders at cornerback, picking up 39 defensive tackles and two interceptions – one of which he returned 40 yards for a touchdown. He added seven defensive tackles and one interception while starting the East Semi-Final and East Final. 

For his career, Johnson has totaled 560 defensive tackles and an impressive 34 interceptions while starting 177 of 178 regular-season games. He has scored 12 touchdowns – seven interception returns, three punt returns, one fumble return and a missed field goal return.       

Johnson was eligible to become a free agent on February 13.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's durable. 177 games out of 178 is impressive.

Anonymous said...


Got in the wife's car today, turned it on and heard 10 minutes of the Green Zone. That was 9 1/2 minutes too much.

John Knight said...

Good signing

Anonymous said...

One more shot in 2018 for another Grey Cup ring!

Anonymous said...

The Jones haters must be beside themselves. All these big names coming back to the Riders. They’re supposed to hate Jones and want out as quick as possible!

Anonymous said...

It’s great to have Rod back on the air. Mitch and the Mad Dog were ok but Rod is still the man.

Gee now that Meyers heard the comparison to Chris Russo it’s going to go to his head!

Anonymous said...

Big names? If you consider mid 30's Johnson & Coleman big names. It's not like other teams aren't signing players. A lot of deals are in place but will be signed in the New Year due to bonuses when the new CAP kicks in. As for Bridge I'm surprised anyone thought he'd go elsewhere or waitt for free agency. What otherto team is looking for a starter except Riders & Als? Argos got Ray &/or Franklin - obviously weren't interested in Bridge. Ham & Ott are set as are the other 4 Western clubs. I've been saying all along he'd sign. If Jones ever did get Franklin there, say goodbye to Bridge. There would be no competition. But I"d be shocked if Argos didn't sign him.

Anonymous said...

Aside from Montreal, who already had Bridge there, every other team is just looking for a backup QB. They all know that Bridge wants to be a starter. As for Johnson and Coleman, there wouldn't be a big demand in free agency for a DB who is 34 and a 32 year old right tackle who isn't that good anyway. Keep in mind, the Riders had one of the worst O lines in the league last season. I suspect this was the only chance for both Johnson and Coleman to sign anywhere because of age and talent. Bridge probably wanted more money than any team would want to pay for a backup and wouldn't have the chance to be a starter that he so desperately wants. You don't honestly think that any other team would give Bridge a chance at number one against Reilly, Ray, Nichols, BLM, Harris, Mazoli or even Jennings? Only against Kevin Glenn, does Bridge have that chance.

Anonymous said...

Argos won't sign Franklin, if he gets a NFL deal.

Other teams are looking for a legit young backup QB. Given the opportunity I think Bridge can develop into the starter.

The last 3 (Bridge, Coleman & Johnson) are all good signings.

Anonymous said...

Terence Newman, the corner back for the Minnesota Vikings, is 39 years old and still playing at a high level so it is not any stretch to see Johnson performing at a high level for another year or two. Henry Burris gave hope for older players that there is still a place for them in the game.

Anonymous said...

Big names. Haha.