Friday, November 10, 2017
SCRUFFY'S THIS N' THAT
- In the words of former UFC announcer Mike Goldberg "Here we Go!" Do the Saskatchewan Roughriders have what it takes or do they like every other Western team that has crossed over fail to win the East? I don't know about you, but I think we are in for a great game. These two teams played two one point-thrillers in the regular season. Can we expect anything different in this one?
What is known is the "experiment" to play Duron Carter on the defensive side of the ball has to come to an end. We have seen what he can do as a defensive back, but we also know what he can do as a wide receiver. He is here to catch passes and not defend them. Remember that the highly polarizing Carter had over 1000 yards receiving and he was hardly used if used at all in the last three games of the season. It is as if he became the forgotten man. Why? This team is better when Carter is doing his thing.
- Who sits and who doesn't? I think it is safe to say Rider Nation awaits the roster on Saturday to see how it looks and then debate it from that time until kickoff.
- As the season starts to wind down, there is talk of extending the contract of Chris Jones. Why not? He has done what was asked! He inherited a bad (and that's being kind) football team and has gotten it back to a level of prominence. Jones will go into the last year of his contract next year. I think it would behoove the higher-ups to sit down with him once this season is over whenever that may be and hammer something out so that this is not hanging over the organization's head going into 2018.
- We know it is going to be a busy off-season for CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie with many things on his plate. Where do you start? What issue is the most pressing? You have marketing, dwindling attendance and interest, scheduling, the playoff format, refereeing, What have I missed! The myriad of issues is dizzying! I think many connected to the league are confident Ambrosie can turn things around, but how much is too much?
- Week 10 NFL Lock Of The Week -- Steelers over Colts
Week 10 NFL Upset Of The Week -- Bills over Saints
- I am damn glad Russell Wilson is on my team. The guy re-defines spectacular. With a bigger field, one wonders what he could do in the CFL. We'll never know!
- I think my reaction Tuesday afternoon echoed that of many when it came to Roy Halladay. When word came down that a plane that belonged to him had gone down, we were all thinking the worst, but hoping and praying it wasn't "Doc" that was inside. When it became official, the baseball world had taken a gigantic gut-punch.
If you are a Jays fan or a baseball fan, you know how good of a player Halladay was. He was arguably the best in the game for a while. Toronto did the right thing by trading him to Philadelphia so he could get a shot at a much-deserved World Series. All he did in his first playoff start was throw a no-hitter. He is the 2nd best Blue Jay in history behind Robbie Alomar. I know the Regina Red Sox had floated his name for a possible guest at one of their highly successful sports dinners. Had that come to fruition, they may have had to go somewhere bigger than the Turvey Centre because the place would have been packed.
What many are saying about him as they pay tribute are not just sugarcoated words. He will go to Cooperstown, and he will likely do so wearing a Jays hat. Sadly, he won't be able to soak in the adulation he deserves.
On Tuesday afternoon after word of his death, I sent out a tweet saying the Jays had best realize no other player should wear "32" and a retirement ceremony should be held on opening day. If it isn't to happen then, it needs to happen in late August when the Phillies are at Rogers Centre.
- Congrats to Rams LB Nick Cross for being named Canada West rookie of the year. Rams DC Sheldon Gray must smile from ear-to-ear when he realizes Cross and Nick Dheilly are around for a long time. Those are two guys to build around.
- Going to be a good Friday night in #YQR. The Pats and Warriors meet in the first of a home-and-home while at the U of R, the Cougar basketball teams open conference play at home against Fraser Valley. Methinks it will be another exciting year of hoops at the CKHS.
- That's all I got. Have a great weekend!