Thursday, April 27, 2017
RIDERS 2017 FLORIDA MINICAMP WRAPS UP
VERO BEACH, FL - Just like that, the Saskatchewan Roughriders 2017 Florida minicamp has come and gone. Here's a brief recap of Thursday's happenings. We'll save the best stuff for today's SportsCage at 4:00 pm on 620 CKRM:
- Thursday's workout was scaled back to a one-a-day session which ran from approximately 8:30a-10:30a ET. One of the biggest reasons for this was players and staff have flights to catch out of Orlando and West Palm Beach this afternoon.
- Due to injuries or various other reasons, the number of players dropped to 27 from the 35 who participated on Days 1 and 2. For instance, defensive back Zavian Bingham was absent because he had to get back for his graduation at Jackson State. Most of the offensive linemen were unable to participate except for veteran Dillon Guy.
"On Day 1 I took 274 reps," Guy recalled Thursday morning. "After that, it was just a blur."
- The top quarterback on Day 3 was Bryan Bennett. This was borne out by the numbers, and coaches' assessments.
- Vince Young graded himself a "C+" for his performance in Minicamp, but says he wouldn't have changed a lot with his physical and preparation over the past six weeks. He said he did a great deal of learning this week, and knocking the rust off which could only come with getting back on the field, against live competition.
- Head Coach & GM Chris Jones told the players at the camp's conclusion that their effort was "outstanding" and told reporters that the top 3/4 of these players will advance to main training camp which begins May 28 in Saskatoon. That includes Vince Young.
- Just like Day 2, veteran quarterback Kevin Glenn was a witness for the pass skeleton sessions on Thursday. Again, this was to spread the reps around with the other four quarterbacks.
- We'll have plenty more info later on tonight.