Monday, October 17, 2016
ALOUETTES RELEASE CARTER, STAFFORD
The team gave no explanation for the moves in a brief news release.
Neither player had a catch as the last-place Alouettes lost 22-8 in Calgary on Saturday to fall to 4-11 for the season.
Carter, 25, returned to the Alouettes this season after a year with the Indianapolis Colts. While he leads the team with 938 yards on 61 catches, the son of former NFL star Cris carter has been involved in a series of incidents.
He was fined by the team and suspended one game by the CFL when he bowled over Ottawa coach Rick Campbell at the sidelines after making a touchdown catch in a game on June 30.
In September, he got into a shouting match during a practice with quarterback Rakeem Cato, who had been named the starter ahead of veteran Kevin Glenn.
The following week, after Glenn was traded, Cato had a meltdown in practice, shouting first at Stafford and then at Carter over what the quarterback said was a lack of respect.
The situation between the players appeared to have eased as Cato then led Montreal to a one-sided victory over Toronto, hitting Stafford for a long gain on the team's first play. I was Jacques Chapdelaine's first game as the new head coach.
The Alouettes lost their next two games, however.
The moves came a week after the Argonauts released starting receivers Kevin Elliott, Vidal Hazelton and Tori Gurley, after coach Scott Milanovich had questioned whether some of his players really wanted to be on the team.
Carter and Stafford both sent out tweets ahead of the team's official announcement.
"Had fun Montreal! Much love! Much will be said in the next few days... Sorry I can't help Montreal get back to the glory days,'' Carter tweeted.
"Thank you to the city and fans of Montreal it was good while it lasted,'' tweeted Stafford.
Stafford returned to the Alouettes this season after a year in Edmonton. He had 16 catches for 215 yards.
The Alouettes stayed in Calgary after their loss and will practice there this week ahead of their game Saturday in Regina.