WINNIPEG - Matt Nichols ran in for a pair of touchdowns Saturday as the Winnipeg Blue Bombers extended their winning streak to six games with a 17-10 win over the Saskatchewan Roughriders.
The victory in front of a sold-out Banjo Bowl crowd of 33,234 at Investors Group Field was the first time the Bombers (7-4) have won six straight games since 2001.
Saskatchewan (1-10) has now lost seven in a row.
Nichols completed 21-of-32 pass attempts for 247 yards and no interceptions. He's thrown only one interception since taking over for starter Drew Willy and has led the team on its winning streak.
Saskatchewan quarterback Darian Durant was 23-of-36 passing for 283 yards with one TD and no picks.
Bombers kicker Justin Medlock booted one field goal from 34 yards and went wide on attempts from 49 and 48 yards. He was good on his two converts.
(The Canadian Press)
CHRIS JONES POSTGAME COMMENTS
- We're not gonna talk about (trading Durant). We're gonna watch the film and see where we're at. It's not something I'm gonna answer. Darian's our QB. For me to answer that, especially coming off a loss, that's not something I'd even consider right now.
- We will bounce back. Don't think this team will ever quit. I talked to them five minutes ago and they're taking responsibility for the mistakes they made.
- When it came crunch time we failed to execute in all three phases. We turned the ball over and allowed them to go downfield with a lack of completing plays. We didn't execute in the kicking game and defensively on that drive we didn't hit our gaps and they were able to burn more time by getting nine yards on 1st and 10.
- Again, I thought the guys executed fairly well on defense but we need to play our best football in the fourth quarter and we failed to do that.
- The penalties were very evident in tonight's game. We gotta address that when we start back on Monday. We can't consistenly play in 1st and 15 and 1st and 20.
- On the field goal fake, we need 2 yards and that play usually gets more than that. Ottawa and Winnipeg run it. It usually garners more than 2 yards. We've been practicing it but we failed to finish the play.
- We played somewhat better in spurts. We gotta finish drives. We got it to the 1 early in the game and failed to get it in the endzone. We have to avoid that if we're going to win football games. If you're at the 1, you should come out with 7 points.
- When you hold somebody at the 1, defensively, you get a lift. QB sneak has been a problem all season long and we need to keep coaching it hard and hopefully we'll be able to do it.
JEFF KNOX JR.
- The guys still got their heads up. We still got a family and are still one. But it's still losing, especially a rival game, and with that said, it's going to be a tough couple of days ahead.
- That's football (not scoring on the opening drive). They got a great defense and we came out with points. It's not just that one drive. We got a lot of things to clean up. They got a really good defense.
- We gotta stay outta the penalties. Some calls and challenges don't go your way but we gotta fight through. The refs don't matter to us. We gotta play football.
- It's definitely frustrating because we never expect to lose. Coach Jones and the coaches put it into our mind that we're going to win. We started as a family and we'll end as a family. I don't know about next year, I can't speak on that.
- We fought hard all game. We just gotta finish as an offense. Whether it's penalties or a mess up here or there. It's on us to get better.
- You gotta keep fighting. It's like it was last year. You're still fighting for a job and showing coaches that belong. We gotta keep playing hard and playing for each other.
- It's our first year. We're still trying to get to know each other. We're still trying to get that vine down. I feel like coach is doing a great job. We just have to keep moving ahead.
- It hurts when calls aren't going the way that we think should. But we just gotta go out there and play and that's what Coach tells us. When fakes like that don't work, we just have to keep fighting and try to get over that hump.
- 2000 yards this year sounds good but winning sounds better. That's our biggest goal.