Sunshine and 25 degrees Celsius greeted the Roughriders on Day 12 of 2016 Training Camp presented by Coors Light. The club cut the Wednesday morning workout back to "one-a-day" and it ran from 9:00-10:30 at SMF Field.
Coaches and staff reporting for duty at Gordon Howe Sports Park ...
Darian Durant and Rob Bagg take the field ...
Player agent Rob Fry (a Luther grad) of the Gil Scott Sports Management Group took in the Wednesday workout ... He was in Edmonton at Eskimos camp earlier this week ...
Darian Durant stops to sign autographs after the workout ..
The same goes for John Chiles and Kevin Francis ...
The players return to Griffiths Stadium on City of Saskatoon buses following the workout ...
Riders Head Coach and GM Chris Jones held his daily media update ... Details below ...
Back to the dorms for awhile ...
Some Day 12 notes:
- Noticeable by their absence were veteran offensive linemen Xavier Fulton and Brendon Labatte (aka the left side of the Riders offensive line). Although there was considerable mixing and matching, this is what I was able to scribble down on the O-Line:
- The offense won the rep competition for the second straight day, but I didn't get the exact score at the end of the workout.
- Not surprisingly, Darian Durant led the first-string offense and although Brett Smith started with the 2's, B.J. Coleman finished the drive. Coleman found S.J. Haidara in the left corner of the endzone but a drop caused them to settle for a Tyler Crapigna field goal.
- The Riders have used a 3-man front on their defensive line quite a bit with a various rotation of players. #91 Ino Vitale got a great push from in the middle and #0 Jonathan Newsome continues to wreak havoc off the edge.
- Matt Walter returned from the "Not Participating" list and took quite a few reps at tailback. However Chris Jones noted after the workout that Curtis Steele remains the unquestioned #1 back.
- As planned, Kendial Lawrence figures to be the team's primary punt returner. Meanwhile punters Josh Bartel and Quinn Van Gylswyk continued to unleash arrow bombs. If the Riders indeed plan to keep all three kickers this year, one will have to be 1-gamed or 6-gamed or else another team's going to snatch him up.
- Jones noted after the practice that Darian Durant will dress for Saturday's preseason game against B.C. however he won't see any action. It'll be a 3-man show of Brett Smith, B.J. Coleman and Philip Sims however their rotation hasn't been disclosed.
- We've learned veteran DB Buddy Jackson has signed a one-year contract with the Roughriders. The former Calgary Stampeder signed with the Dallas Cowboys this winter however he got injured prior to the Cowboys' OTA's and was released.
- The members of the 2015 Grey Cup champion Edmonton Eskimo staff were delivered their championship rings Tuesday evening. Jones indicated that the baubles are indeed impressive and the Esks did a nice job on them.
The following is the Day 11 report from the 2016 Roughrider Training Camp presented by Coors Light, courtesy Roughriders PR:
Did not participate:
Tim Agbaje (day-to-day)
Dylan Ainsworth (day-to-day)
Justin Capicciotti (day-to-day)
Victor Dean Jr. (day-to-day)
Johnny Dixon (day-to-day)
Xavier Fulton (day-to-day)
Matt Knight (day-to-day)
Jeff Knox Jr. (day-to-day)
Brendon LaBatte (day-to-day)
Graig Newman (day-to-day)
Eric Norwood (injured)
Alex Ogbongbemiga (day-to-day)
Matt Vonk (6 game injured list)
Devrin Young (7-10 days)
The Riders return to Griffiths Stadium for practice tomorrow. Thursday’s Day 12 workout will run from 9AM to approximately 11AM.
STREET FEST – June 12th
Bring the whole family to celebrate the Farewell Season with a Rider Street Festival downtown Saskatoon. Meet players and alumni, play in the Kid Zone, take part in the photo booth, Co-Op BBQ, prize giveaway and other fun family activities. Noon to 4:00PM at 21st Street East.