|Voice of the Pats Phil Andrews|
-What a tough pill to swallow for the Regina Pats after their game 7 loss in Red Deer last night 2-1. The Rebels scored first on the powerplay in the second period but Adam Brooks tied it up for Regina with 12.6 seconds left in the frame and we went to the final period deadlocked. The Pats came out and played a dominant third period outshooting the Rebels 15-4 but Red Deer got the bounce that allowed Adam Musil to poke in a puck from the crease into an empty net to make it 2-1 and that was all they needed to advance.
The Pats threw everything they had at the Rebels in that final stanza but great chance after great chance just would not go in and the off-season has started. What an incredible series, Regina you should be proud of this team, they deserved a win but it's a game of inches...
-The thing about sports is the end is always so abrupt. There is no easing out of a season and seeing the teary eyed overagers after game 7 last night was sure tough to watch. To Colby Williams, who I had the pleasure of calling almost every game of his career, thank you! An incredible person and player, a career Pat ad Regina boy. He battled through so much this season with his injury but came back and was nothing short of inspirational in how he played in this playoff run. He will be missed.
Cole Sanford, what a player. As John Paddock said on the 620 CKRM post game show last night "I'm not sure we make the playoffs without him." What a leader in the way he plays the game and he was so integral to this post season success for the organization. He will find a place to play professionally no doubt in my mind.
Aaron Macklin, a character guy that every team needs. No he didn't put up offensive numbers but he gave the team everything he had every night. Epitomizes a good teammate and also a great person.
All three, guys you wish only the absolute best for going forward.
- Every other player on this roster, what a great group of guys to work with and to watch play this amazing game. From the bus rides, team meals and everything in between, class acts all of them.
- The Pats will be back, no doubt about that. If this run didn't make you a believer in the future of this team than I don't think anything will. What a team led by John Paddock, Dave Struch and Brad Herauf. the core of this team is back and we are in for more excitement in the years to come. It's too bad we have to wait until September to get going again.
- To the Pats Regiment, WOW, you were absolutely incredible. In my 5 years I have never seen the support for this team like this year. The Brandt Centre became a tough place to play for opposing teams, the atmosphere was so amazing. THANK YOU!
- Hats off to the Red Deer Rebels, they are a class organization. Associate Coach Jeff Truitt is one of the good ones, not only as a coach but as a person and I really appreciate his openness and honesty in our pre-game interviews. Play by play man Cam Moon also a true professional and a beauty and a half. They do things right over there and I wish them all the best against the Brandon Wheat Kings in the Eastern Conference Championship series.
- To all my co workers within the organization from the owners to the coaches to the training staff to the office folk and game day staff. There is no better place to work in my opinion. Great people.
- To the parents, thanks for loaning us your kids! I always enjoy getting to meet and chat with the people responsible for our players. I appreciate every last one of you!
- Last but not least to my wife, it takes a special woman to let me run around Western Canada and do the job I love with two young kids at home. She's the best there is.
- I've probably forgotten someone along the way and if I did, thank you!
Have a great off-season