- The Regina Pats came away from two games on the weekend against the two top teams in the division with two points. I think anyone going in would have taken that. Yes the coaching staff was not impressed with the team's play in the 4-2 win over Prince Albert but two points are two points. Tyler Brown was fantastic in the game making 31 stops. He has really rebounded after his injury and put together three solid starts.
The Brandon Wheat Kings then came to the Brandt Centre on Sunday and for the first time this year they looked like the team I expected them to be. They flat out dominated. From the goaltender out, they moved the puck with ease and won 4-0. Yes the Pats would have liked to be better in the contest but credit has to go to the Wheat Kings in this one. They are rounding into form, look out rest of the WHL.
- Can we take a moment and recognize the Lethbridge Hurricanes. They have won 10 in a row and 16 of 17. They LEAD the entire WHL with 72 points in 48 games. They have scored more goals than anyone with 207 and have given up the 5th least number of goals with 135. The Hurricanes are for real, huge kudos to Peter Anholt and Brent Kisio who have done a fantastic job turning that team around.
- Pats forward Sam Steel is in Vancouver today ahead of tomorrow's BMO NHL/CHL Top Prospects game. Steel will play with Team Cherry for the game which includes all the top draft eligible players in the CHL. Looking forward to watching what he and the others do tomorrow night. Unfortunately the Giants Tyler Benson cannot play in the game because of an injury but Ty Ronning will take his place, he is having a great year.
- The injury bug has really bit the Pats this week. With Colby Williams and Connor Hobbs already out. Now Adam Berg is dealing with a shoulder injury and Aaron Macklin and Jared McAmmond both have concussions. That leaves the Pats short a forward and we can expect a call-up announcement today.
- What a massive weekend it is for both the Pats and the Saskatoon Blades. The two will play in a home and home starting Friday at the Brandt Centre. The Blades enter the weekend 9 points back of the Pats in the standings and are 7 points behind Edmonton for the final wild card spot. The Pats are 2-2-0-0 against Saskatoon this season.
- Former Regina Pats forward Patrick D'Amico has really taken off since being traded to the Atlanta Gladiators. He has 9 goals and 13 points in 23 games. Had just 4 points in 17 games with the Colorado Eagles. Here is a good article on the former Pats forward.
- Pavel Padakin is also finding some success in the ECHL. After being sent down from the AHL's Lehigh Valley Phantoms to the Reading Royals of the ECHL the former Pat and Hitmen has 13 points in 17 games played.
- Morgan Klimchuk is back from his injury with the Stockton Heat of the AHL and is starting to fins his offensive touch. The Flames 1st round pick is on the board with his first pro goals and now has 3 to go along with 3 assists in the last few games. Good to see!
- Former captain Kyle Burroughs is back in the AHL with Bridgeport after his shoulder injury and surgery. He has 9 games played with 5 assists and 9 PIM's.
- I am so looking forward to next weekends Super Bowl. The two best defences in the league and then the grizzled veteran QB in Peyton Manning against the upstart phenom in Cam Newton. I would like to see Manning ride off into the sunset with a championship but at the same time I would like seeing a team like the Panthers who are the usual suspects in these games come away with a win. I just hope it is a good game at the end of the day.
- Be sure to catch tonight's episode of Pats TV on Access 7 starting at 6:30. My guests this week are forwards Austin Wagner and Adam Berg as well as assistant coach Brad Herauf.
That's all I have for today, have a great week.