|Voice of the Pats Phil Andrews|
- The Pats won a huge game on Tuesday night in Red Deer over the Rebels 3-2. What a hockey game it was. Both teams played extremely well and this is a night where you really have to credit the Pats for the game they played. Their were no passengers in the victory. Adam Brooks, Rykr Cole and Taylor Cooper scored while Tyler Brown had another incredible night stopping 33 of 35 shots faced. The penalty kill was rock solid again going 6 for 7 including down a man for the last 2:50 to hold on for the win. The game was one you want to see every night, fast, physical and exciting. A huge win for the Pats to get two games over the 500 mark with 3 games left on the Alberta road swing.
- Tyler Brown continues to impress since taking over the team's starting duties on November 5th. Since then he has gone 3-3-0-0 with a 2.61 GAA and a .933 save percentage. He has been beyond incredible.
- Adam Brooks is on pace for a career year in points this season. Brooks has 27 points in his first 22 games, projecting an 88 point season. Last year the Winnipeg product finished with 30 goals and 62 points.
- Colton Kroeker set a career high in points last night with an assist against the Rebels. He is up to 3 goals and 7 points in 21 games played. Last season he had 3 goals and 6 assists in 52 games.
- The Pats are in Edmonton tonight looking to start the year three and oh against the Oil Kings. It's the game they have to have on this road swing. Edmonton has lost three in a row and 5 of their last 6. That being said they play a tough game and are still a tough out no matter what. Should be a good one again tonight.
- Two Regina Pats were among the November Central Scouting Players to watch list for the 2016 NHL Entry Draft. No surprise to see Sam Steel listed as an 'A' skater for a second time as a projected 1st round pick. However there was a bit of a surprise to see Luc Smith get onto the list as a 'C' skater as a projected 4th-6th round selection. Smith says he had no idea it was coming. "To be honest I actually had no idea the list was even out today. Cammy (Jared McAmmond) came up to me and said 'Hey Smitty, you are on the list' I said 'sweet, that's kind of cool'.
Smith was the Pats 3rd round selection in the 2013 WHL Bantam Draft, he says while it's an honour, he can't change the way he plays as a result. "It feels good obviously, the hard work is starting to pay off here but at the same time it's something that you can't let get in your head and you just got to keep going out there and working hard every day... It doesn't really man anything in the big picture right, you have to focus on the team things first and that is going to lead to success."
Smith has a goal and 2 assists to go along with 46 penalty minutes so far this year and he says it's all about winning as a team going forward. "If the team is having success, obviously I am going to have some personal success. That's something that I really like to focus my play on, everything for the team, for the guys, battling for the guys sitting next to me and they are doing the same for me."
Sam Steel is an 'A' skater for the second time in as many players to watch lists from Central Scouting. Steel has 7 goals and 21 points in 21 games played this season.
- What a weekend in the CFL. The Division Finals were just incredible to watch. Ottawa's win over Hamilton was so full of drama it had me on the edge of my seat. You have to credit Kent Austin and his game plan with Jeremiah Masoli who came so close to getting into the Grey Cup for a 3rd straight year. I was pulling for the RedBlacks however and am glad to see them make the championship game.
The Stamps and Eskimos game was not as nail bitting but still entertaining. Calgary made a game of it late and provided a great game to watch. I think Edmonton is going to win it all but hoping Ottawa can pull it out.
- Be sure to catch tonight's episode of Pats TV on Access 7 starting at 6:30. My guests this week are forwards Austin Wagner and Sean Richards as well as goaltender Jordan Hollett.
That's all I have for today, have a great rest of your week! I'll talk to you from Rexall Place tonight.