|Voice of the Pats Phil Andrews|
What a week it has been at the Andrews household. My wife Megan and I are very proud to announce the birth of our second child, and first son, Declan Charles! He was born Saturday morning and everyone is healthy.
I want to publicly thank all the staff at the Regina General Hospital. They went above and beyond to make the whole ordeal as easy as possible. The nurses and doctors were, in the words of the great John Lynch, "Just fantastic." A huge thanks once again!
- Now on to the world of sports starting with the Regina Pats. What a big win on Saturday afternoon in Moose Jaw. Without Sergey Zborovskiy and losing Connor Hobbs they still pulled out the OT win thanks to Chase Harrison's first of the year. He has been so good this year.
- The Pats will be without forward Aaron Macklin for the next 5 games. The overager has been handed a suspension by the Western Hockey League for a check to the head on Saturday in Moose Jaw. The WHL cites him as a repeat offender and that is part of the reason it is a longer suspension. He will be missed no doubt.
- 100 points! Regina Pats forward Adam Brooks eclipsed the 100 career point plateau on Saturday in Moose Jaw. What's pretty cool about the feat for the 19-year-old is that he had just 23 points in his first 2 seasons. But in the nest 78 games he has 79 points.
- How about the East Division so far this year? I don't think anyone would have picked 5 of 6 teams would be over the 500 mark and the Swift Current Broncos are only two games under. The Central meanwhile has the bottom three teams in the Eastern Conference. Could very well see an East Division team cross over this year. It's going to be a dog fight for playoff positioning if the 6 teams in the East keep playing well. Makes for some exciting games.
- The Pats will see the Broncos for the first time on Friday at the Credit Union Iplex. The Broncos top line has been really good this season, led by Jon Martin. A guy whose previous career high in points in a season was 24, last year with the Kootenay Ice. This year he already has 27, in 16 games and is behind only Tyson Baillie of the Kelowna Rockets and Brayden Point of the Moose Jaw Warriors for the league lead. Incredible!
- Back to the Pats, forward Jake Leschyshyn is currently competing with Team Canada at the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge in Fort St. John and Dawson Creek B.C. Leschsyhyn is with Team Canada Black who went 1 and 2 in the round robin. Jake has a goal and an assist as well as the shootout winner against the Czech Republic. The quarter-finals start tomorrow and Team Canada Black will take on Team Canada Red tomorrow afternoon at 3:30 Regina time.
- Tough to see Connor McDavid go down last night. That was a hard crash into the end wall, he will be out long term with what looked like a shoulder injury. He alone is worth watching the Oilers, win or lose he is just fun to watch. Injuries suck.
- It's not just the Oilers who have been bit. Montreal is without Carey Price, last night L.A. Kings forward Anze Kopitar was injured. You never want to see guys get hurt, let alone the games stars, regardless of who you cheer for.
- I guess I was way wrong calling the Denver Broncos the worst of the remaining undefeated NFL teams entering the weekend. They absolutely dominated the Green Bay Packers for their 7th win of the season. Their defence is unreal and the running game finally got going. Manning looked the best he has all year too.
- How about Drew Brees?? The Saints QB three 7 freaking touchdowns on Sunday. SEVEN! Another guy who people keep saying has lost it. Well the numbers speak for themselves.
- Who cares who the halftime show is at the Grey Cup? I certainly do not. I watch the game for the football, not the 15 minutes of music between the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Complainers go away.
- Go RedBlacks! Ottawa can win the East Division on Saturday with a win at home over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. What a second season in the nations capital. I am pulling for Hank and the guys out there. Would be a great story if they can win it all. My head says it's Edmonton's trophy to lose but you never know.
- Be sure to catch tonight's episode of Pats TV on Access 7. My guests tonight are forward Adam Brooks, defenceman Chase Harrison and Assistant Coach Brad Herauf. It all starts at 6:30 PM.
That's all I have today, have a great rest of the week, talk to you from Swift Current on Friday night!