|Voice of the Pats Phil Andrews|
- Big news out of Kelowna this week as head coach Dan Lambert is headed to the Buffalo Sabres as an assistant coach. Lambert head coached the Rockets for just one season and had them within an overtime goal of winning the 2015 MasterCard Memorial Cup. It's a surprise in the sense it happened so soon but I'm told he has some good NHL conections so maybe not a huge shocker. I wish him all the best.
- The Riders 0-2 after two home games to start 2015 against Winnipeg and Toronto. What's been the difference? The 4th quarter in each. Saskatchewan was tied with Winnipeg after 3 in week one and then led Toronto 21-11 after 3 in week 2. They have been outscored 24-10 in the 4th quarter so far this year.
- Even further to that, the Green and White should not have come close to losing Sunday against Toronto. Put the pick six and penalties aside. The Riders had the ball, 2nd and goal from the Toronto 1 with 1:22 left on the clock. Mistake One: They snap the ball with 17 seconds left on the play clock. The play does not go for a touchdown however the Argos lined up offside and Saskatchewan got a fresh set of downs. If I am Corey Chamblin, I kneel down on 1st down, Toronto then takes their final timeout leaving about 1:00 left. Then you kneel down again, run off another 20 seconds. Then let the play clock run another 20 seconds and kick a short field goal on 3rd down to take the 31-28 lead. In my math that leaves roughly 20-25 seconds left if you include the 17 seconds remaining on the play clock on the initial second down. What is more important? The extra four points or the 60 seconds they could have ran off the clock? It was a bad display of clock management, the team could have all but sealed the win if they elected to milk the time left and go ahead by 3. Toronto would have had two, maybe three plays to get into field position for a field goal from the ROOKIE Ronnie Pfeffer. I don't disagree with what this team does very often but in this instance I really do.
- It wasn't all negative on Sunday, Kevin Glenn looked unbelievably good under center. Ryan Smith too is havign a break out year. The dfeence actually made some plays when compared to week 1. Jake Doughty the interception, sacks from Alex Hall, Derek Walker and Macho Harris and then some big hits from Tyron Brackenridge and Tristan Jackson. They let one get away on Sunday but this is not a bad team.
- So weird knowing the Riders were coming out on offense in double overtime to play for a tie. I think the CFL should do away with the draws and play until someone wins. Didn't matter in the end on Sunday but ties suck. For how fun that game was to watch it, a team should always win.
- Love what Paul McCallum did in his return going 4 for 4. That's what you should expect from your kicker. He's exactly what the doctor ordered.
- The Calgary Stampeders look very average through two games of the season. They are lucky Hamilton gave one away in week one and got them a win. Bo-Levi Mitchell is struggling and Jon Cornish isn't getting the ball enough. I'm sure they will figure it out but I was not expecting their slow start.
- I am thoroughly impressed with the Ottawa RedBlacks. Really good to see the team have some early success in year two. Do I think they are a playoff team.... Not convinced yet but it's good for the CFL that they are playing well.
- The East swept the West in week 2. My how the tide has turned from last year. All four teams out there have improved and with some young guys having a big impact. How about Rakeem Cato in Montreal? At first I was disappointed the Canadian Brandon Bridge didn't get the start but it was obvious why the coaching staff believed in Cato. Again it's only one game and it's early in the season so a lot can change but the parity in the league seems pretty good so far.
- The Riders will get their first win on Friday in my opinion. I expect the Lions to be better than they were against Ottawa this weekend but the Green and White will be better as well.
- Vladimir Tarasenko got an 60 million dollar contract from the St. Louis Blues over 8 years yesterday. A young guy that has become one of the best goal scorers in the NHL. Big money for a big player.
- Did you see the goals Connor McDavid scored in the Oilers inter-squad game? He had 5 and wow I can't wait to see what he does in his rookie season.
- The Toronto Blue Jays won a one run game last night!!! I don't remember the last time that happened. Felix Dubront pitched a great game in his first start as a Blue Jay and Jose Bautista and Josh Donaldson provided the 2 runs needed for the win. The Jays are a game and a half out of first in the AL East. They have hung in there through suspect pitching for parts of the year. They need to add some arms, home runs don't win playoff type baseball, pitching does.
That's it from me, have a great week!