Friday, March 30, 2012
* Today will be an interesting day.
* It took awhile but it seems everyone is engrossed in this Pats-Warriors first round WHL playoff series which continues tonight with Game 5 at Mosaic Place in Moose Jaw. The Warriors lead the series 3-1 and are looking to close it out this evening. Hockey people from across the league are sending notes and asking what's going on while fans from other centres like Swift Current and Saskatoon are writing into this blog or chiming in on our radio show about the series. What else did you expect? Fines, suspensions, overtimes, sold out arenas, damaged property, etc. This is exactly what I expected when we learned the top two rivals in the CHL would collide.
* The series should be 2-2 in my opinion, but sadly it's not. There will be no further referee discussion here. One of the Pats' parents emailed me a story about the referee in question and his role in getting an MJHL coach suspended for 12 games not that long ago. Meh, I don't expect much from these guys anymore.
* The greatest, and worst, thing I ever heard yelled from the crowd came during Game 3 on Tuesday night. "Hey ref! I thought you were supposed to be on OUR side!!"
* It will be an extremely difficult row to hoe for the Pats tonight without suspended forward Dyson Stevenson and injured captain Brandon Davidson. The word we received yesterday is that Davidson is done for the series with an upper body injury. Still, as several from across the WHL have said, the Pats aren't out of it yet.
* Anyone who's been to Mosaic Place continues to rave about the facility. I must say it's incredibly impressive. Their pregame ritual (shown above) is quite a spectacle too. I'll be watching tonight's game along with Scott Schultz in Darrell Markin's Cross Canada Flooring luxury suite. We'll also be broadcasting Four Seasons Playoff Friday live from Mosaic Place beginning at 5:00 pm.
* We asked Regina Pats owner Russ Parker about the potential sale of the team on the Sports Cage on Wednesday. His response was "I'm not getting any younger!". That really got people wondering if the For Sale sign will go up this spring.
* Some folks in this town really need a history lesson. I was wearing my Pats jersey in a restaurant the other day and a guy came up and said "What's the connection between the Pats and the Prince Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry?". Uh, the Pats are named after them??
* One of my favourite country music DJs is Country 100.7 Moose Jaw's Jim Strom. But when did he start moonlighting as the trainer for the Warriors?
* Three more WHL teams bit the dust in the playoffs last night. Brandon eliminated Calgary, Edmonton extinguished Kootenay and Portland finished off Kelowna.
* I have to say I'm extremely proud to announce rodpedersen.com is sponsoring MMA pro fighter Derek "The Lion" Parker (pictured). This plan came about over a steam room chat at Gold's Gym on Tuesday morning. Derek, the former Warriors, Hurricanes and Millionaires tough guy, lives in Regina and has gone pro in the cage. The Lion will have www.rodpedersen.com on his shirt as he enters the ring and will make regular Sports Cage appearances. You can follow him on Twitter @TheLionParker. He fights tomorrow night in Quebec, looking for his fifth straight professional win.
* I checked the Saskatoon Blades' attendance for Game 3 of their first round series against Medicine Hat at Credit Union Centre. It was under 5000. Like 48-hundred and change. If they won't support the Blades, the NHL isn't going to work there.
* A fireman who was raised in Saskatoon but lives here was discussing this with me the other day at Gold's too. He said "If Rider fans will drive from Tisdale for games, why wouldn't people do the same to Saskatoon for NHL games?". That's the problem. It's soooo much bigger than that. It's not even in the same stratosphere but it seems hardly anyone realizes this.
* The same guy said not to get too worked up over the Pats-Warriors series. "It's just a game" he said. Maybe he's right.
* Glad to see the Weyburn Red Wings have advanced to another Canalta Cup, the SJHL championship series. They'll face Humboldt, who's set to host the Royal Bank Cup this year. I have a KFC supper riding on the series with Humboldt product Dean Moisan. I'm betting on the Red Wings.
* There's been a ton of NHL scouts in the area to witness this series. It's been interesting hearing their thoughts on the current plight of NHL teams. Some of the comments I've been told are: "If Brent Sutter isn't coaching in Calgary next year, he'll be coaching in the NHL somewhere," and "The Leafs are terrible because they have no leadership. Bad captain."
* I don't like having Steve Ott on the hockey team for which I cheer.
* Heard this week that there are only three people in the world with more marketability than Tim Tebow. They are 1) Oprah Winfrey, 2) Adele and 3) Kate Myddleton.
* It's hilarious that Madonna let it be know this week that she'd like to give Tebow a tour of New York this weekend. HA HA! Like Tebow would be caught dead with that skank.
* Memo to Rogers Sportsnet: Ken Reid is the ideal person to anchor the morning Sportsnet Connected show. He's cheery with a bubbly sense of humour. Perfect for that time of day. Although, Evanka Osmak isn't the worst thing to wake up to either.
* Have you been to the McDonald's at Dewdney and Albert lately? What a renovation!! It looks like a Cactus Club in Vancouver inside! Fancy stools, interior and three flat screen TVs with hockey games on. My question is, do you really want your clientele to stay for that long?
* Loved the Raptor's camouflaged uniforms this week in which the team honoured the Canadian Armed Forces.
* Why I'm all for the Odell Willis trade: If you ever watched the Blue Bomber defense last year and said "Man I wish we had a guy like that on our defensive line", then you should be all for this deal as well.
* Many Rider fans have told me they think the Riders will get a leg up in the West Division this year because Edmonton and Calgary have new quarterbacks and BC has a new coach. Umm, we have a rookie head coach too.
* The Texas Rangers are offering two feet long hot dogs this season which are covered with cheese and jalapenos. They run $26.
* Last weekend in Glasgow, Montana, Pabst Blue Ribbon sponsored the annual Triple-Double contest. They were challenging the locals to consume 10 PBRs, 10 corn dogs and 10 tater-tot orders. There was no time limit! I actually think I've done that a few times.
* Facebook needs a "dislike" button. It's awkward when people write about splitting up with their partner, or a death in the family and underneath the post it says "56 people Like this".
* Today's Press Box Sports Bar lunch buffet from Chef Trent:
Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
Sweet and Spicy Chicken Wings
Lemon Shrimp over Angel Hair Pasta
TALK TO YOU FROM MOOSE JAW!